Yemen Food Crisis: Millions of Yemenis at Risk of Starvation
As the Yemeni crisis enters its 4th year in row, resulting in catastrophic human consequences for Yemenis, some 14 million Yemenis today are at the risk of starvation, with more than two million of them already displaced. Such worsening conditions, resulting from the continuing conflict in a country that has been long described as “The Happy Yemen”, have left a remarkable impact on all Yemenis, especially children.
The United Nations, in light of these catastrophic conditions, and with the civilian deaths mounting to 164% in the recent months and with severe outbreaks of cholera all over the country, is urged to take immediate action to end this ongoing human-made catastrophe. The UN should give Yemenis more hope in light of these conditions that make them feel desperate and hopeless.
The people of Yemen deserve better living conditions and the UN should play a more active role in making sure that all parties to the conflict respect the right of all Yemenis to life and healthcare, as well as education. All Yemenis, especially those inflicted with chronic diseases, should be able to receive treatment and should not be engaged in a war they have no interest in.
The entire world has been silently been watching the ongoing crisis in Yemen unfolding, but sadly, without taking concrete actions to stop the crisis, especially in relation to human loss and the impact it left on the healthcare system in Yemen, with cholera spreading like fire all over the country.
The people of Yemen have high hopes that the UN will eventually intervene to stop this ongoing crisis and to make the children of Yemen feel that they are not forgotten. The children of Yemen have a right to have access to food and clean water. The UN should ensure that political calculations of all parties to the conflict should not prevent the children of Yemen from enjoying this right.
Today, some 22.2 million Yemenis are in desperate need for humanitarian assistance. They have a lot of expectations from the UN. The plans designed to mitigate the impact of the crisis are not enough. They only cover 20% of the total needs of the population, leaving 80% of them at the risk of starvation and death. The UN should provide all needed help to all Yemenis. No Yemeni child deserves to suffer or feels threatened because of the ongoing conflict.
Actions speak louder than words. The people of Yemen deserve more than condemnations. It is time to take actions so that the people of Yemen see a real change happening in their country after nearly four years of death, killing, kidnappings and starvation. The UN can do a lot in this regard and it is just about time to take action to end the plight of the country that has for long been described as ‘happy’.
The International United Nations Watch
2 April 2019, Scotland
For media inquiries, please contact Maya B. Garner at: